Bits & Pieces

Snoop Dogg’s eight-inch stick

IRVINE, Calif. – Prosecutors are considering charges against Snoop Dogg after authorities discovered a 21-inch collapsible baton in his bags as he boarded a New York-bound flight, authorities said Monday.

The rapper, whose real name is Calvin Broadus, had the baton in his laptop case as he went through a security checkpoint at John Wayne International Airport on Sept. 27, sheriff’s spokesman Jim Amormino said.

Snoop Dogg, 35, told sheriff’s deputies that the baton was a prop for a movie he was filming in New York, Amormino said.

"He had a collapsible baton and it is classified as a dangerous weapon," Amormino said, adding that the stick collapsed to eight inches.

District attorney spokeswoman Susan Kang Schroeder said her office received the sheriff’s report on Monday. She said prosecutors had not yet decided whether to charge Snoop Dogg, who was not arrested.


Hungarian protestors jack some tanks

BUDAPEST, Hungary – Police fired rubber bullets, tear gas and water cannons to disperse thousands of anti-government protesters who later hijacked two unarmed tanks in violence that marred the 50th anniversary of Hungary’s uprising against Soviet rule.

At least 40 people, including some police, were injured, rescue officials said. State news agency MTI reported that police beat some of the protesters – including women and elderly people – with rubber batons. Some suffered head injuries.

In one of the main showdowns on Monday near Deak Square, the city’s main subway hub, hundreds of police behind three water cannons slowly advanced on a few hundred rioters. The protesters threw bottles and rocks at the police who fired tear gas and rubber bullets back at them as a police helicopter circled low above the crowd.


Dead surfer lives!

PORTLAND, Ore. – A federal grand jury has indicted a transient surfer with sending a false distress signal to the U.S. Coast Guard as a part of a scheme to fake his own death.

Jesse Murphy, 25, of Osburn, Idaho, is charged with conspiracy and causing a false distress message.

Federal agents say Murphy, facing criminal charges in California, apparently planned to stage a nighttime surfing incident at Ecola State Park near Cannon Beach in April of 2004 in an attempt to have himself declared dead.

They say he left his clothing, his wallet, a surfboard, and his girlfriend at the beach, and returned to the Portland area with two friends.

His girlfriend then called 911 and reported him missing.

The Coast Guard, Cannon Beach Fire and Police departments and the Oregon State Police searched for more than eight hours and declared him missing.

He was arrested later in Bellingham, Wash., on a California warrant but released. His whereabouts are unknown.

Capt. Karl Baldessari, chief of response for Coast Guard District 13, said such hoaxes are costly and needlessly place Coast Guard men and women at increased risk of injury or death.