KPSU raises $4,000 in annual pledge drive: KPSU’s annual two-week pledge drive ended on Sunday, and staff members estimate that roughly $4,000 in donations was collected, according to Music Director Jay Allen Turk.
KPSU raises $4,000 in annual pledge drive
KPSU’s annual two-week pledge drive ended on Sunday, and staff members estimate that roughly $4,000 in donations was collected, according to Music Director Jay Allen Turk.
Although the pledge drive is over, contributions can still be made to the station by contacting its development director, Lydia McLuen, at 503-725-5669.
ASPSU to rally against budget cuts in Salem
Members of ASPSU will travel to Salem today to rally against budget cuts to higher education.
According to a press release, thousands of Oregonians and several advocacy groups are expected to attend the rally.
The rally will begin at 11 a.m. on the front steps of the Oregon State Capitol building.
Sigma Xi recognizes faculty for outstanding research
The Columbia-Willamette Chapter of Sigma Xi presented awards to seven faculty members on Tuesday for outstanding research in their respective fields.
The local chapter of Sigma Xi, an international scientific research honorary, is based out of Portland State, according to geology department Chair Scott Burns.
“This local chapter…has been making these awards to faculty and staff based on publications, external funding, meeting presentations and guidance of graduate students,” Burns said.
According to the society’s website, the current Columbia-Willamette Chapter was formed in 2000 by a merger between Oregon Health & Science University and PSU Sigma Xi chapters. The PSU Sigma Xi chapter originally began in 1974 and the OHSU chapter was formed in 1952.
The winners of the sixth annual Sigma Xi Outstanding Researcher Awards are:
- Behavioral and Social Sciences: Dr. Robert Roeser, associate professor of psychology at PSU
- Biological Sciences: Dr. Jason Podrabsky, associate professor of biology at PSU
- Earth Sciences: Dr. Virginia Butler, professor of anthropology at PSU
- Physics: Dr. Rolf Koenenkamp, the Gertrude Rempfer Professor of Physics in Electron Optics at PSU
- Chemistry: Dr. David Peyton, professor of chemistry at PSU
- Engineering: Dr. Tugrul Daim, associate professor of engineering at PSU
- Research on a Shoestring: Dr. Chuck