Portland State received a bomb threat at around noon today, Feb. 25. The threat, according to on-site PSU faculty and administrators, is local to Neuberger Hall, which was evacuated and searched immediately.
Portland State received a bomb threat at around noon today. The threat was aimed at Neuberger Hall, which was evacuated and searched immediately, according to PSU faculty and administrators.
A professor found the threat, a note in the men’s bathroom that read, “There will be a detonation in Neuberger Hall at 4:30 p.m.,” according to PSU spokesperson Julie Smith. Smith said that, as of 2:20 p.m., she could not confirm the location of the note or who wrote it.
During a press conference about the bomb threat, Campus Public Safety Chief Mike Soto said that security officers “are taking the threat very seriously,” and that the Portland Police Bureau assisted in the search for a bomb. He said that as of 2:15 p.m., Portland Police had finished their search and that Campus Public Safety is currently the only team occupying Neuberger Hall searching for a possible threat.
By 12:15 p.m., the building was empty and by 12:40 p.m., caution tape had been put up to ward off students and staff trying to enter Neuberger Hall.
Soto said that unless CPSO finds something, the building will reopen at 5:30 p.m.
The Department of Facilities and Planning stationed members of their staff at each entry point to notify passersby that the building is closed after the threat.
For additional information and coverage continue to check www.dailyvanguard.com, www.pdx.edu and read Tuesday’s print edition.